Thursday, November 17, 2011

Learning and the Media

I think it's really frustrating how many people sit their kid in front of the TV to watch Nickelodeon or PBS kids Sprout. It's all like "Hey look an electronic babysitter! we don't even have to pay it and we can have it every day!" and then they'll "justify" it by saying it's educational or whatever.

The dumbest thing is how people think Baby Einstein is educational even after so many studies have shown that it is in fact no good. In 2009 Disney even offered refunds to parents that bought Baby Einstein videos. If that's not a sign that not even the company has enough faith to defend it.


Here are the facts: Back in 2002 when the videos first came out, there wasn't any research on whether these videos were any good for a child’s cognitive development. But recently  a survey by researchers at the University of Washington, found that for every hour of baby-video viewing per day, children ages 8 to 16 months knew six to eight fewer words than those who watched no videos. Now think about how many hours parents throw their children in front of the television per day, that is a lot of cognitive development that is not being accessed. 


Studies have shown that the best things that a child could do to have their cognitive abilities advance is to play outside, play with toys, have their parents read out loud to them, for the parents to talk (nicely) around their child. 


Whatever happened to children playing with play doh? or rolling in the grass? how many parents actually read their kids bedtime stories? We put them in front of the TV as soon as they are out of the womb and now we wonder why our kids are so behind in school when they go in 5 years later.


Riah

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Baby Einstein before, but after knowing the facts I definitley won't be putting my future child in front of the TV with it playing. When I was little, my parents would play with me and read me books. In my opinion it's a bad idea for parents to put their child in front of the TV thinking it will "babysit" him/her not only because it's effecting the child's cognitive development, but also because they're not spending time with their child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment from Brooks: "When I first heard your topic about how Baby Einstein didn’t work, I was in shock. I had seen kids who sat in front of Baby Einstein and how the babies reacted to the movie in ways I’ve never seen. Looking at your blog post now, my view has totally changed. I like your approach so far, even calling these shows “electronic babysitters.” I can’t wait to continue to read your blog because I feel that this is an interesting topic, something that I think a lot of parents would benefit from reading because I believe the reason parents put their babies in front of these shows is that they are so naïve and believe that it will work just because everyone else uses it."

    ReplyDelete